Borrowed Light Studios
Based in Greenpoint, Brooklyn
July 25, 2015
Press / Business contact:
Borrowed Light Studios is an independent, virtual reality focused, game studio based in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. We believe exploration and story are key to a satisfying virtual reality experience and want to take you on a journey with us to the strange and the wonderful.
Mac Cauley founded Borrowed Light Studios in 2015 after creating The Night Cafe: A VR Tribute to Van Gogh and realizing how many unexplored possibilities there were with the technology. Soon after winning the Oculus Mobile Jam "Platinum Award" and Cinequest "Best Experience" award, they set out to create something new - Spectro - a game that would bring the replayability and adventure of a roguelike to the immersive new medium.
Spectro - Launch Trailer YouTube
The Night Cafe - Trailer YouTube
There are far more images available for Borrowed Light Studios, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Cinequest 2017 - Best Immersive" - San Jose, 12 March, 2017
- "Oculus Mobile Jam - Platinum Award for Experience" - 20 May, 2015
- "Oculus Mobile Jam - Community Choice for Experience" - 20 May, 2015
- "The Proto Awards - Nomination for Best Experience" - October 2016
- "The experience dazzles with some of the most gorgeous visuals we have seen in VR."
- Will Mason, UploadVR
- "Like DNA strands, Cauley has unwound Van Gogh’s swirls to create a three-dimensional space that is navigable yet impressionistic."
- David Rudin, Kill Screen Daily
- "The crown jewel of this collection, The Night Cafe allows you to walk into a Vincent van Gogh painting. And it looks incredible."
- Mark Wilson, Fast Co. Design
Team & Repeating Collaborator
Art & Code
Business & PR